Friday, August 15, 2008

Jacob and Caleb's 18 Month Well Child Exam and More!!

Yesterday was Jon's last day at work for 3 weeks! He'll be with us exclusively for one week, and then plans on working from home a little the over the next two weeks as we help Jacob and Caleb make the transition to being BIG BROTHERS!

People are SO SWEET to us, as this was waiting on his desk when he arrived Thursday morning.



Isn't is gorgeous?! The only problem with it is that I don't want to disassemble it to use the items!

There were also 280 additional diapers! We got so many diapers and wipes this time between the Baby Celebration, the shower with Jon's other group at work (he works with two different groups a lot), and our Tiny Tots Playgroup. With three little butts to change, however, we'll definitely use them all! Again, I cannot believe how generous everyone has been. Jon and I are sincerely overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness of so many people.

Today we had the boys' 18 month well child visit. Of course, I posted a
LONG update on the actual day they turned 18 months, but now we know the big thing everyone that wants to know - what are their stats!!

Jacob Alan:

Weight = 28 pounds even, which puts him at the 80th percentile
Height = 33 1/2 inches, which puts him at the 85th percentile

Caleb Luke:

Weight = 28 pounds even, which puts him at the 80th percentile
Height = 33 inches even, which puts him at the 80th percentile

So, both boys are drastically slowing down on growth, as they had both consistently been 90 - 97 percent until now. We knew that they had to slow down at some point since Jon and I are both pretty average sized.

On another note, BOTH BOYS ARE FINALLY WALKING WELL! Caleb still looks a little like Frankenstein when he walks (hands out in front, legs a little stiff), but he's doing it SOLO at last! (WOOOHOOO CALEB!! Good job, Big Boy!)



The funny thing is, several months ago I was confident that he would AT LEAST be walking before Gabe joined our family. Well, a week ago when ECI came out again, I mentioned that I suppose Caleb WOULDN'T walk before Gabe came at this point. I think our little stinker listened to that and wanted to challenge Mommy, because he began making leaps and bounds soon after.

Now we have been going for REAL family walks outside. Jacob likes to walk alone and ahead of the group, not holding anyone's hand, while Caleb is still working on balance and likes to hold a hand. We take the wagon along and make them ride once we get to the end of the street (after almost 1/4 mile!). Caleb's little legs are usually ready for the rest, however Jacob screams when we try to make him sit down. Below are a couple of pictures we took on our venture out the other night. I also took a video that I'll try to upload later.







Another thing to mention - and I am almost ashamed to admit - I FINALLY have them watching a TV show! Both boys have refused to watch any television show at all until recently - no Baby Einsteins, no Sesame Street, NOTHING! Call me a "bad Momma," but I have been really trying to find a show that they will watch. Until now it hasn't been a huge issue, as I make dinner, wash dishes, do laundry, etc. all during their nap time. Well, Gabe might be on a different schedule than them for a few weeks, so I desperately wanted something - ANYTHING - to distract them for AT LEAST 15 minutes! EUREKA, I FOUND IT!! My boys LOVE SuperWhy! And because my boys love it and will actually watch it, Jon and I are both in love with it too!! The little ADD toddlers still won't sit down to watch it, but, as you can see, it keeps their attention.



"Calling all Super Readers... To the Book Club!!"

I am glad so that they chose to watch something educational so that I don't feel too bad leaving them in front of the TV. As "Princess P" sounds out letters, the boys will often repeat her! SWEET - they are learning letters, phonics, AND letting me get something done! What more could a Mommy want?!

Did I mention that I really love SuperWhy?! ;-)

We are going to dinner with friends tonight (The Cheesecake Factory - YUM!) as well as a family birthday party tomorrow, so good tummy shots will be taken at some point. I'll make my best effort to post those by Sunday.

No comments: