Friday, May 9, 2008

Another update on the boys!

Their "speech" is going well, as they are babbling out lots of "words" now. I still use the term "words" loosely, as most of their constant talk is still just babble. They do spit out a few words here and there though, oftentimes repeating what Jon or I just said!

A while back now Jacob said "ahhhsssssh, ahhhsssssh!" Well, try to say that word out loud - sounds pretty bad. I knew that I hadn't had road-rage with him in the car, causing him to pick any "naughty words," (hehehe) so I just thought it was more babble and ignored it. (Not wanting to reinforce a bad word!!) Well, Jacob went on and on with it, becoming more persistent, and pointing as he screamed "ahhhssssssssh!!" Finally we were relieved when he pointed to our EYES and said "ahhhssssssssh!!!" I felt terrible that I ignored him as he was being such a big boy by pointing out Mommy and Daddy's "ahhhssshhh" to us! We are careful to REALLY enunciate the word "EYES" to him though! ("Good boy, Jacob, those ARE Mommy's *wide open mouth* EEYYEEES!!")

So, yes, about half of the time when you ask them to point to a certain body part, they will do it. (Other times they don't want to "play along," and will just giggle, point back at you, or something else equally silly!) They are pretty good at labeling eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. Another thing that they can point out is their Baby Brother. When you ask them "where's your baby brother," they will not only point at my tummy, but also feel the need to raise up my shirt and point to my belly button. Who knows where they got that - silly guys!

Caleb is not as "vocal" as Jacob, but really seems to understand most everything we say to him. He is quick to follow instructions - when he WANTS to! He is my little guy who turns his toys upside down to see how they work. He often squinches up his little face when he is thinking, like he is really trying to soak it all in.

They latest and greatest "trick" is that they will raise they hands. For example, I'll say "raise your hand if you're a good boy," and I have two little boys looking at me very seriously with their hand up straight and high. (The teachers are goin g to love them!) We got a good laugh this past weekend while out with some of Jon's friends when they asked "raise your hand if you want a beer!" They both dropped what they were doing, got some way serious looks on their faces, and those hands darted UP! (No, Mommy didn't give in to that request!)

Our intake appointment with ECI is May 30th - much quicker than I honestly had anticipated! I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Another thing to mention, just so I can include these hilarious pics:

The boys have really been trying hard to feed themselves with spoons for the last couple of months! I have to admit that they would do much better if I would let them try it more often, but well, as you can see below, IT IS SUCH A MESS!! I do try to suck it up and let them do it though. Caleb really feels like a big boy, and will work very hard to use his spoon for every last bite, even though much of it does end up on him. Jacob on the other hand "gives up" after several bites and just uses the tools that God gave him - his hands! It could be oatmeal, soup, whatever, and Jacob will find a way to get every last bite in his mouth. The irony of it all is that Caleb, who uses the spoon, make a much bigger mess than Jacob, who uses his hands! Go figure.

An action shot of Caleb taking a bite of breakfast


Jacob using the eating utensils that God gave him (notice the spoon sitting next to his bowl)


Caleb is SO PROUD to be a big boy!


OK, I know I really shouldn't encourage this kind of behavior by going for my camera, but, my goodness, Daddy HAD to see what his "sweet little Jake-Jake" did at lunch when he got home from work!!


Another change for the boys is that we have moved them to the "BIG TABLE" when Mommy and Daddy eat! They can snack on crackers and have a sippy with us, or we can feed them there, but I still won't let them use their spoons on the nice table now, for obvious reasons! But we'll get there. It's nice to all sit together as a family though. (They are getting to be such big boys!)


Other things I need to post about:

1. Our love of the ZOO, along with some pics of several of our recent visits!
2. Me going out of town (spending my first night EVER away from the boys) for the Texas Mothers of Multiples Convention in Abilene.

No comments: