Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What Tha' Hail?!

I have a few posts in the works, but since this occurred last week, I thought I would post a picture from our most recent hail storm for those of you not in the area.



Yup, we had 2 1/4 inch hail! What's crazy is that we had NO warning. We knew that thunderstorms were expected, but we didn't know anything about hail coming in along with it.

It was about 10:30 pm, the twins were down, I had just finished nursing and changing Gabe's diaper, and was about to put him into his bed when it literally sounded like gun fire had hit our house! Jon turned to me and said "WHAT WAS THAT?!" And then it hit again. About the same time we both realized what was going on. I put Gabe on our bedroom floor, and took off for the garage, as both vehicles were outside! Jon grabbed the keys, and ran out to get the Odyssey. About the same time we also realized just how big the hail was, and that it might not have been too smart of a move for him to run out in it!

Surprisingly enough, however, we didn't get a lot of damage. We will need a new roof (surprise, surprise), Jon's truck has several large dings, and the Odyssey has a couple small ones. Overall, not too bad. As the boys and I went for a walk the next day, we saw several broken windows, including a broken back window of a BMW. Yikes - hope the interior didn't also suffer from the damage!

A couple of days later, the ground dried out and so I finally let the boys back in the yard to play. We then noticed some more damage. Jacob walked to his little wagon and fell to the ground saying "No, uh-oh, no..." (So dramatic!) I wish I would have taken a picture, but I was too busy trying to console Jacob while muffling/hiding my giggles. His little plastic wagon which he uses to pull around his juice, "la-la," and whatever toy he attached to that day around the yard had a baseball sized hole in the bottom. Supermomma was able to piece it back together with duct tape and mailing tape - "all better!"

We have had a lot more exciting times - including our church's Eggstravaganza and Opening Day at the Ballpark - so more posts will soon follow.

1 comment:

Lady Katie said...

I was actually at my parents during the storm. We had to run out and move the vehicles around to get them all under the carport. We had about two minutes worth of warning because we'd just turned on channel 8 as they were warning viewers in Springtown and Azle. We got hail about the size of lemon drops - nothing like yours. Glad you didn't have more damage than you did.