Sunday, December 7, 2008

Advent Conspiracy

I read a few interesting things today:

The average American family spends $800 on Christmas gifts for every year, but only 9 minutes playing together on Christmas morning. * Yikes! *

Also, research shows that over indulged children are less able to cope with stress, often lack self-control, and are at risk for becoming self-centered and depressed. From a spiritual stand point, materialism shifts our priorities from heavenly things to earthly things.

The solution?



I ran across a website - and movement - about a month ago now called the Advent Conspiracy. I meant to post it a while back, but, well, you can see how much I've had time to blog here lately!

It is a very simple, yet difficult concept:

The story of Christ's birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love. So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists. And when it's all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas? What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?

Welcome to Advent Conspiracy.

A cool thought that I've had - in addition to my FAVORITE of helping provide clean water to third world countries mentioned in the video - is to host a baby shower for Jesus! How cool would it be to have a baby shower, as all women LOVE ohhhing and ahhhhing over baby stuff, and donate all the items to a local pregnancy resource center?! Just a little spin on a traditional Christmas party.

I think Jon and I are pretty good about overspending, not just at Christmas but all year. We really try not to spoil our children with material things - not because we feel that we can't, but because we fell that we shouldn't. (On the other hand, I have somehow managed to spoil rotten not just one or two, but THREE kids with being held! No kidding, one of Caleb's first phrases was "up, please" - meaning he wants to be held.) We really encourage family to "take it easy" as well. I know how much the family loves to spoil them rotten, but the boys already have more toys than any child should have, so more toys would be a waste. I mean "waste" on so many levels:

* Financially - We feel it is a better move for us to add to their college fund than buy them lots of cool new stuff. I guarantee that in the long run they would rather be put through collage debt free than have another Little People set!

* Space - We feel that we are blessed with a great house, but it's definitely no mansion. My goodness, with three kiddos, there is only so much room for unnecessary STUFF!

* Resources - Here's where my tree huggin' nature comes into play... what in the world happens to all of these toys - especially the hard plastic ones - when your kiddos stop playing with them? They will most likely sit in a landfill for years... and years... and years... This is another reason I highly encourage Craigslist and buying/receiving hand-me-down toys from family and friends. Trust me, I LOVE the plastic Step 2 products - they are fun and durable - but that stuff will be around forever! That is also a benefit in that they can be wiped down well (God bless the Kirkland brand sanitizing wipes!), so you can easily buy them from a stranger!

I could go on and on... but Gabriel is about to need me soon...

But quickly, another pet peeve, while I am on it, is people buying something impractical just because they "have to" buy something for a particular person. If you feel that you HAVE to get something, why not get something from the heart, something meaningful, even if it doesn't cost a lot?

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

I need to post a blog soon recapping our crazy November... but I want to post about some cool things going on to provide clean water to our world soon!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hey Amber,

I hope everything is all right... I think I saw a facebook status from you where it sounded like life was pretty rough these days (I stalk people through Fred's facebook). I miss reading your posts, but I can totally understand how life can be crazy. I hope things are getting better and I'll be praying for you!