Sunday, November 23, 2008

Yoga - a "4 letter word?"

Recently there was a blog on "Stuff Christians Like," a hilarious yet sometimes thought provoking (in a silly sort of way) blogspot site, called "Not knowing what to do with yoga."

Also this weekend, there was a news story released forbidding Muslims from doing Yoga. "Yoga is forbidden for Muslims. The practice will erode their faith in the religion," Abdul Shukor Husin, chairman of the government-backed National Fatwa Council, told reporters. Yoga forbidden for Muslims in Malaysia

I honestly never knew that Yoga was controversial. I mean, I have recently gotten into some controversial debates over various other topics, but Yoga?!

Many of you know that I practice Yoga. Not as much now, but I "used to" (pre-Momma times) practice with zeal! I am even certified through the Radiant Child® Yoga Program (Level 1 & 2) by the wonderful Shakta Kaur Khalsa herself! (I just never taught anyone... yet... but am starting with Jacob and Caleb!)

After the twins sent me into the "evils" of bed rest, I lost LOTS of muscle tone and flexibility, and yoga then became frustrating. (Not to mention difficult, as my feet hit the ground running with the caring for the twins!) About the time I was ready to get into it again, I was pregnant with Gabe. So, anyway, I have recently started getting back into Yoga, and now I am seeing several of these articles pop up.

What are your thoughts?

Mine?

As with most things in life, it matters more where your heart and thoughts are rather than WHAT you are actually doing.

Some people do closely incorporate yoga into their religion - Sikhs, Christians, among others - but it does not, or SHOULD not, encompass the entire religion.

Now, also keep in mind, there are SEVERAL types of yoga, including, Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, etc... I practice Hatha and some Kundalini Yoga. Most Americans think of as yoga is merely being a form of exercise, but "yoga," in its true form, is MUCH, MUCH more than some silly stretching exercises - more than I have the time to go into here.

I do have some limits on what I "believe" from each form of yoga as well. I mostly focus on the asanas (postures) along with basic pranayama (special types of breathing). I really connect with the music as well, mostly using inspirational and Christian - can't beat yoga done to some Chris Tomlin praise music. How can briefly clearing ones mind from the constant, ongoing chatter of the world around us and the "gotta do this next" laundry list, while praising God for the miracle of life, WHILE strengthening and toning your body be wrong?!

To close, here are a few yogi pics of me in 2003 on Enchanted Rock:


Vrksasana, Tree Pose





Virabhadrasana I, Warrior I Pose


Bhujangasana, Cobra Pose


Utthita Trikonasana, Triangle Pose


And one of my favorites... Viparita Karani, Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose. Simple, yet actually clears the mind and may have the power to cure whatever ails you!

3 comments:

JAMIE'S CREW said...

Is there any place to take Yoga close and that is affordable to us many moms with one income?

Amber S. said...

Good question, Jamie. I wish I knew myself! ;-)

When I lived in Dallas, I loved Move Studio! (www.movestudio.com) After I moved, I still drove out for a few classes, but it became less often. I began going to Soul Fitness (www.soul-fitness.com) in Fort Worth, which was also great. (Amazing studio and location - but still a DRIVE!) Then I got pregnant... found out twins... soon after put on restrictions... then complete bed rest... and that's the last formal class that I have had.

I have not been, but want to try out Divine Yoga Center. (www.divineyogacenter.com) It is on 1709 on the Keller/Southlake border. I pass it on the way to church and Sprouts and always want to go. It's just tough with having the boys and no family really close by to watch them during class. I may get a drop in pass before too long though. The offer an intro special for 10 consecutive days of unlimited yoga for only $20, which is awesome! I think it goes to around $15 per class (give or take) after that. (Sorta pricey, but I would probably only go once a week due to our schedule... which would be enough to keep me motivated to practice at home more.)

I have heard good things about SoulBodyWorks in Hurst and Rhythm & Moves in Southlake, but, again, can't speak from experience.

I would also say that it is a good idea for the instructor to be certified through the Yoga Alliance.

AND I would HIGHLY recommend taking a Nia class too! Love it! (Think dance, martial arts, and yoga combine!)

Joanne said...

I miss yoga so much. When we lived in SF there were so many classes readily available for CHEAP! We're talking $35 for 10 sessions. I still use some of the stretches to help with my back pain, but wish I could get back into it. My favourite poses are child's pose and the pigeon. I'm very impressed at your flexibility, btw!