Monday, March 9, 2009

Yackety yack!

Jacob and Caleb are saying A LOT now, but here are a few noteworthy words that we hear often:

"NO" - I hear this no less that 200 times a day around here! Oftentimes this great word is heard in unison: "NO," but sometimes they add a twist for me. My personal favorite is "no-no-no" said in a high pitch tone. After several days of them doing this, I realized that they were mocking me ("Boys, no-no-no, let's come read books quietly for a minute rather than beating cars on the table.")

"Play" - Anytime we are doing an evil necessity - like washing hands, changing diapers, waiting on me to fix lunch, waiting on me to clean up the kitchen after lunch, etc - they inform me that they would rather "play" than participate in the task at hand.

"Bubba"
- This is what they still call one another. They can also say "Cay-cay," "Jay-Jay," "Gabe" (sounds more like (Gee-be), "Gabriel" (which is hilarious to hear), and others, but the twins still choose to refer to one another and Gabe as "bubba."

"Grandpa Al" - This is greatness. My dad is Alan, but most people just call him Al, so we began telling the boys that he is their "Grandpa Al." When they first began repeating it, it came out more like "Growl-growl." Later it had three syllables, but was still "Gr-Gra-Growl." They have gotten close to mastering it now.

"Hers" - There is a great story behind this one! They boys really like to annoy Abby, our 10 year old rat terrier. They won't pet or play sweet with her for long, but insist on hitting, pulling her tail or legs, etc. So far she has been good with them, but I fear that she will retaliate any time. She has several toys of her own that they boys like to go steal (heaven forbid if SHE were to take one of there's!). Caleb came up to her one day as she was chewing a tennis ball and tried to snatch it. Afraid that Abby was about to bite, I yelled at him "Caleb, seriously, leave it alone - THAT IS HERS!" His eyes got all wide, "HERS?!" Me: "Yes, Cay, it IS hers." Well, he now calls a tennis balls - whether Abby's or not - "hers." I am working on trying to explain it to him, but no such luck. I think he might be playing tennis one day in high school with a racket and "hers!" :-)

"Abby"
- Along the lines of Abby, they also love to scold her when SHE does something wrong - like try to come in the kitchen/dinning room while we are eating. Of course, "Abby" sounds like "B.B." for some reason, but we - including Abby - know what it means!!

"More" (mooore) - This is said about two or three times every meal. Within a couple of minutes of the start of a meal, something is gone from one part of their plate, and the request is on - "MORE!" Me: "Thank you for asking so sweet (*implied: rather than screaming*), but eat a few bites of something else, and then I'll get you MORE oranges (or whatever the requested item is)!"

They say almost all of the other basics - like juice, milk, ball, book, car - as well as some other random words, but I thought the above ranked as some of the funnier ones that we would want to remember years from now.

On that note, I'll close the blog with another favorite - "A-MEN!" This is said in the appropriate times (like when we finish their Baby Devotional before bedtime), as well as when they are getting impatient for their meal. If I am fixing their plates and they are really hungry, they will sit in their chairs saying "A-MEN, A-MEN..." over and over (and louder and louder). I guess they are letting me know that we have prayed, so there is no reason to delay food any longer!

(The sweet boys can also say "church," "Jesus," and "Bible" too. They LOVE Sunday School!!)

Be sure to see my previous blog too. Hopefully I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow!

2 comments:

Is it always triple trouble??? said...

to cute!!!! my boys would ask to say the amen that ment to pray they say mommy can we say our amens

Unknown said...

Amber,
Awesome job in noteing that is important to remember! I have long forgotten a lot of my kids' first phrases. Like Stephanie, I love the A-men one!! They know htat Amen comes before food!! LOL!!
Cindy